London Boxing Map
In the 1740s Jack Broughton, who drew up the first rules of boxing, established an amphitheatre to host his boxing shows. His initiative demonstrated that, while you cannot have boxing without boxers, the boxing venue is of crucial importance if boxing is to flourish. In the latter part of the eighteenth century into the nineteenth century pugilistic contests took place on the open ground with boxing fans forming a circle to watch the contest (hence the term boxing ring today even though the ring is rectangle).
With the development of large conurbations during the course of the nineteenth century the need to have stable and dedicated venues for sport arose. Boxing contests took place in numerous places from small halls to town halls and drill halls, at swimming baths and in larger venues such as the White City. Although the most significant venue in London, in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, was the National Sporting Club in Covent Garden it was venues such as the Ring, Premierland and Wonderland that helped give boxing its mass base prior to 1939. Such venues were much loved and in the days of the modern mega arena the intimacy of such boxing venues are missed greatly.
The LEBA web site will endeavour to bring the memories, the significance and importance of such venues to the modern boxing fan.