12th OCTOBER 2015 2PMPosted by Paul Fairweather on 16th Sep 2015
Monday 12th October at 2pm.
The London Ex- Boxers Association,
In conjunction with The City of Westminster,
And the patronage of Capital & Counties Property PLC
Are installing a Green Plaque commemorating the historic significance of
43 KING STREET, COVENT GARDEN, LONDON, WC1
Which from March 1891 to October 1929 became known as;
THE NATIONAL SPORTING CLUB
Which under the direction of its President
Hugh Cecil Lowther, the Rt. Hon 5th Earl of Lonsdale
Co-Founders Arthur 'Peggy' Bettinson, & John Fleming,
Became known as;
THE HOME OF MODERN GLOVE BOXING
The ceremony of unveiling will be carried out by
Lord Hugh Lowther, the Rt Hon. 8th Earl of Lonsdale
In the presence of;
Cllr. Robert Davies Deputy Leader, City of Westminster Council,
Mr. Ian Hawksworth, Chief Executive, CAPCO.
Also, descendants of the many famous boxers that boxed there,
with some of the many boxers that have inherited the rules
and traditions of the NSC into the 21st century.
Further details; L.E.B.A. 20 Morning Lane, London, E9 6NA.
0208 985 6455 -- 0208 985 9090
It is not often that the origins of a sport can be traced back to a particular building. The installation of a commemorative Green Plaque to The National Sporting Club at 43 King Street, Covent Garden, relates to the historic and social significance of this building.
Few people today are aware of just how popular and widespread the sport of boxing was in Britain on the turn of the 19th and the first half of the 20th century. Furthermore how important the National Sporting Club was in raising boxing from the thuggery of dingy streets and shady taverns into a noble sport in its display of bravery and strength.
By the time The National Sporting Club which opened in 1891, left King Street in 1929, it had formed and handed over to the original British Boxing Board of Control to be become renowned throughout the world for promoting high quality contests, licensing boxers, managers and promoters.
There are no comments yet...